[mythtv-users] Voodoo3 3500 capture, anyone?

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Thu Apr 22 19:53:26 EDT 2004

Jayson Garrell wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 13:51, Brennan Hildebrand wrote:
>
>>I've found a few postings on using the Voodoo3 3500 for tv out, but has
>>anyone used it for capture on the backend.  I believe it will do mpeg1
>>encoding, but not mpeg2, although I'm not certain.  I happen to have one
>>lying around so I thought I might give it a try.  Any experiences would
>>help.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Brennan
>
> Since I have one also and fought with it a while back... Once you get it
> to work at all I'm sure it would work in a mythbackend. The problem is
> finding all of the kernel patchs for it, also with xfree 4.+ it seems to
> have a weird overlay problem where the video turns pink when the mouse
> is moved. I didn't really need to use it that bad since I have  2 250's,
> so I gave up on getting it to work. When I get home I will pull up my
> book marks for the patchs and post the links to the list.

I didn't have the overlay problem mentioned.  I used mine with Freevo
for a bit and hated it... too darn slow.  I tried it with Myth, but
installed Mandrake 9.2 and for some reason it wouldn't work with that
kernel release - which has since been fixed.  It _should_ work because
it works with V4L once you get the drivers installed.

I spent the $40 and got an ATI TV Wonder VE.  I still used the Voodoo
for TV out for a while, but it's severely substandard on that end as
well.  Watching any show with dark areas will result in different shades
of black boxes - like there's not enough colors to go around.  A friend
gave me a GF4 MX card which solved that ;-)

-Tony