[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Bruce Smith bruce-myth8486 at energymail.com
Fri Apr 23 09:53:31 EDT 2004

> Anyway, thought I'd warn anyone out there...If your case seems really
> hot - prepare for disaster.

And sometimes drives go bad without excessive heat.

This is why I use tar to backup my system (everything but the .nuv
files) across the network to a different Linux box (my desktop) before
and after I upgrade any software.

I would lose all my recorded shows with a drive crash, but I could get
the backend back up and running fairly easily.

I also restored my backend tar-file on a different box to create a
frontend-only PC with just a few easy tweaks.

 - BS