[mythtv-users] Dual tuner info

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Fri Apr 23 10:17:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 08:25, Khanh Tran wrote:
> I'm going to talk about this with a basic two tuner setup.  One, because
> it's easier and two, because that's what I have :)
>
> So the setup is:
>
> Listing #1: Digital Cable with all basic channels removed Listing #2:
> Basic Channels
>
> Tuner #1:
> 	Composite Input -> Listing #1
> 	Television Input -> Listing #2
>
> Tuner #2:
> 	Composite Input -> Listing #1
> 	Television Input -> Listing #2
>
> Let's now say Tuner #1 is busy recording digital channel 300.  What
> happens with Tuner #2 if my wife wants to tune to digital channel 160
> and doesn't realize the digital box is in use?  Won't Tuner #2 attempt
> to make a channel change on the cable box that's busy feeding Tuner #1?

If you only have one digital box, setup like so:
Tuner #1:
	Television Input -> Listing #2

Tuner #2:
	Composite Input -> Listing #1
	Television Input -> Listing #2

If you have two digital boxes, only use the composite inputs and one
listing source with all channels included.  It's only if you want more
tuners than you have digital boxes you need to do this.

The digital box is on the second tuner.  This allows you to
record/watch:

A basic channel and a digital channel
Two basic channels

If you put the tuner card with digital as the first tuner, it might
decide to use that to record a basic channel and then you would be
unable to watch digital as the only tuner card with digital available is
tied up (even though it's not actually using digital).

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>