[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Ed Benckert ed at ebonmists.com
Fri Apr 23 14:38:17 EDT 2004

Software Raid 5 offers terrible performance... its ok for word documents and
the like, but theres no way the cpu/drives will keep up with the demand of
streaming continious MPG data to the drive, as well as reading it back at
the same time.

It's expensive, but a beautiful solution: Promise Technology Raid 5 ATA
controller cards. Here's a link to one:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/raid/sx4000/

That is a 4 channel/4 drive card. I have the 6 channel/6 drive card. It's a
true hardware raid solution for ATA100/133 drives. I paid $250 for mine.

I do a lot of video editing and the like, and storing a DVD on a hard drive
eats up space, so I need a lot. When a drive goes bad and you have no good
soilution to back up a few 120 gig drives... you lose a lot of data and you
want to murder youself :)

I had a Highpoint Raid 5 controller card, but thats crap. It's basically an
ATA100 controller card with 4 controllers (8 channels/drives) that has
software raid built into the drivers. The performance was ABYSSMAL. I had 5
80 gig drives in a 320gig raid 5 array, and I couldnt move my USB mouse
around the screen on my WinXP system without it pausing every second or so
as the CPU choked doing the raid computations.

The Promise card is a true hardware raid. And if I remember correctly, comes
with Linux drivers right in the box.

Oh, in addition you need to give it a DIMM for it's cache memory, there is
none on-board. It takes up to 128mb... so right now I have a 5 drive (80gb
each) RAID 5 system, 320gb of space, with a 128mb cache. It's beautiful.

And I've already had a drive go bad on me (it was 4+ years old). Bought a
new drive, popped it in, rebuilt the array... and my PC was back.

Love it. Cant reccomend it enough.