[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Kevin D. Snodgrass kds.mythtv at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 16:29:56 EDT 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>>Backups are definately your friend :)
>

> Another very cool program to check out is mondorescue. You can create a full
> bare-metal recovery disc set, backup to CD/DVD, ISO image file, NFS, local
> HD, etc., incrementals, differentials, fulls, etc...
>
> http://www.mondorescue.org/
>
> I've contemplated installing a box, creating a mondo restore image of it, then
> making that image available...

I've always used:

dd if=/dev/hdx|gzip -best > somefile.gz

Just make sure somefile.gz is on a different partition. :-)
  Actually, it's best if /dev/hdx isn't mounted.

All you need  to recreate then is a bootable floppy (minimal
kernel, just enough to deal with your /dev/hdx and the
location of the .gz) with busybox (http://www.busybox.net/)
setup to be ash, dd and zcat.  Or you can install the hdd
into another machine and do it there.