[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

jack jr at jrh.net
Fri Apr 23 18:06:23 EDT 2004

Found the post, now that I know what's causing it I will probably get around
to seeing if I can get it working properly. Well maybe after I get my pchdtv
card working reliably in the 2.6.x kernel. Wish pchdtv themselves would get
around to releasing an "official" patch because Ulmo's patch has far too
many issues (though I definitely appreciate the work he has done so far).

> And a fun note, I had a powersupply go out 2 months ago, and it took my
> harddrive out with it (or it was the other way around).  I had 4 HD's in
> the system, it was a 180 gig that went out, (Stored movies and music,
> photo's etc).  I've seen been planning on doing raid 5, and can't
> mention enough how much drives are failing for me lately, at work I've
> had 3 WD harddrives fail (80GB's) and home a 30gb WD and 180GB WD fail
> in the last month.  My 200GB maxtors are working well, if someone wants
> to know.  Also, I have since bought an antec "Overture"/HTPC case.  My
> quick review is my system runs at about 60C, HD's (Using the smartd
> linux util to report drive info.. very very useful) thats my HD's are
> running 37-41C.  The identical hardware in Antec's Quiet PC's, runs at
> 54C and 35-36C.  The overture is $30 more, but is a desktop/htpc style.
> One other note too is the case is quiet, but 4 drives inside are not in
> this case...  In fact, a non quiet case was about as loud to be honest..
> The drives are by far the nosiest thing, and I've yet to find a good
> case that muffles drives well.  My future plan is to get a server/disk
> box to stuff in my storage room and run 100 or 1000MB around my house
> and just have frontends accessing it.  (Oh, my old powersupply was 350W,
> the new one is 380W, but my system pulls about 180W idle and 220W at
> peak).
>
> --Brandon

Same here with the hard drives. 3 120's and 2 80's all WD have all gone bad
in the past month or two. No more WD for me now, I am going back to Seagate.
Still have 2x that in WD drives going fine for now but it's making me real
nervous. Though I guess the good thing is I now have all my backups up to
date =p