[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Fri Apr 23 18:47:09 EDT 2004

I don't want to start any religous wars (software vs hardware) but I'll
post my experiences.

 As far as demands of video, HDTV is MAX 45Mb/s and an average HDTV
stream  is 17Mb/s.  If you only want one subchannel to be saved, it's
max 19.8Mb/s.  I had 3 PCHDTV cards writing to a single HD, and viewing
a stream without any performance problems (p4 3.2 Ghz w/ht) CPU load
from disk reading was 4% (JFS).  I current run raid 0 (Software) with
all three pcHDTV cards and can read (truely) 74MB (592Mb/s) and write
24MB/s (192Mb/s).  A single drive is around reading 40MB's and writing
15MB's (7200RPM, 8MB cache).  You could be watching up to 12 MAX HDTV
streams or recording 4 HDTV shows before you could have any problem,
guarentee'd, ever.  Realisticly, you can watch about 2-3 with the best
CPU (Because of decoding the video) and record 5 shows (Since the
average HDTV program is really around 17Mb/s) at once with ONE
harddrive.  Software raid has very little overhead, and works VERY well.
Raid 5 is always faster than a single drive.  (About 1.3-1.4 times as
fast to start off).  Raid 5 has to write 80% extra data for the
redundancy and so you have to figure that in.  But since you have 3
drives, raid5 has to be faster.  The best way to look at raid5 is it's
n+1, meaning you get n times the disk space and performance, +1 drive
that is wasted/used for redundancy.  I use raid 0 on my drives because I
don't care to spend extra $$ yet to have a drive for redundancy of HDTV
shows. .. not worth it yet.  Raid 0 gives me about 1.9x the performance
of a single drive.  I have 4 pci channels in my computer (using an extra
pci ide card) Single drive on each channel, (No slave drives.)  This
helps a little on performance.  When I have 6 drives, I won't need all
the performance I _could_ get because it's not needed.  Who is going to
be recording more than 5 HDTV shows at once to a single HD? Not anyone
probably... You'd fill the disk in a few hours.

 Also, at work I've had 2 promise tx2000 IDE cards go bad, one was
hardware was compeltely shot, the other had it's internal memory reset.
I did recover my data since I knew the settings of the card and you can
just plop a new card in and it works, but that can't happen (design)
with software raid.  I'll never touch an IDE raid card again if I can
help it, they're just too flacky to trust for "production".  Hardware
raid is always better, a lot more expensive too.  For me, software raid
provides enough speed benefits that I don't need to think about
hardware.  (IO on a HTPC will probably not be a problem we'll have to
deal with luckily).

 Another thing to note about raid 5, it's not the raid level that makes
raid 5 slow, it's the drives.  IDE VS SCSI.  But again, you don't need
the performance like you're thinking you do.

--Brandon