[mythtv-users] Diskless frontends (was Bad News for me...a warning to all)

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 24 07:29:10 EDT 2004

Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

>>I'd like to put in a couple of ATA cards for disks, but with
>>2x250s, a bttv card and sound card, I am plain out of slots.... Looks
>>like I need to add another dedicated file server for this....
>>

>Heh, actually, that exactly what I'm very seriously considering right now. I'd
>move all (or at least most of) my tuner cards into a tower tucked away from
>the TVs, with several large drives, then run diskless with both my frontends
>(or perhaps just with some smaller, silent-as-possible drives).

Funny you should mention this... I've just started taking a look at the
feasibility of converting ThinStation <http://thinstation.sf.net> to
diskless MythTV frontends.  I'm possibly barking up the wrong tree, but
TS would appear to be a very good place to start.  My Linux knowledge is
OK, but I've never attempted anything like this before.

Has anyone else taken a look at anything similar?