[mythtv-users] problems setting up mysql w/FC1

mike johnson mythtv65 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 13:01:42 EDT 2004

Hello,
been using the guide on wilsonet..com to setup a mythtv box.  havng a hell
of a tme wth mysql.  for those not familiar w/the nstructions on this task,
i've included them.

what i've done.  i've started mysql (and verified that it is indeed
running),  set the password, but when i input the line to create the
mythconverge database, i get a message saying that it isn't there.?   i'm
new to mysql, so input would be a great help.

thanks

-------------

13. Set up MySQL

We'll need to enable MySQL to load at startup, set some passwords, and
create the MythTV database, which we'll populate shortly. Starting with
MythTV 0.12, the population of this database is handled by mythtvsetup, in
the next step, and all MythTV add-on module database additions must be done
AFTER running mythtvsetup.
# /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on
# /sbin/service mysqld start

Set the mysql root password, replacing ROOT_PWD with your chosen
administrator password:
# mysql -u root mysql
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD') WHERE user='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit

Now we create the mythtv database (called mythconverg) to get us started:
$ mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.14/database/mc.sql
(enter the password you just set above when prompted)

Again, all subsequent database population for MythTV's add-on modules must
now be done AFTER running mythtvsetup for the first time.

Fedora Core contains a mysqladmin ping check in its mysqld init script,
which fails after a password is set for the root account. The check will
hang for 10 seconds, and then falsely report a failed mysqld startup. To
remedy this, edit /etc/init.d/mysqld as root, changing the two lines that
read:
"`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`"

To something like this:
"`/usr/bin/mysqladmin -umysql ping 2> /dev/null`"