[mythtv-users] Daily use questions: recording settings

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Mon Apr 26 16:29:26 EDT 2004

Nowhere wrote:

>There are two places (that I know of) to set the start early and end
>late amount. There is the "default" setting under Settings/TV/General.
>This one affects ALL recordings.

Which is pretty much a blanket it takes this long for my machine to
start recording (i.e. create file, change channel , start encoding).
You can set it to extend the recording times to catch "next week on"
types of things as a general rule.

>The other you can access from many points, one being recording
>priorities, select the show, hit the menu key twice and you will see the
>start early and end late.

Which should be used for shows that always seem be starting at the wrong
time, or running over.

>So if you set 5 minutes early by default and 3 minutes early on certain
>shows, the shows you set 3 minutes early will actually be 5+3=8 while
>the rest of the shows will only be 5.

If your clock is properly synced using NTP then you shouldn't need to
ever start several minutes early on a regular basis.

>One interesting tidbit! If you have two tuners, the second method of
>start early end late will force back to back shows to switch to a second
>tuner if you have one. The first method does NOT. For this reason, I
>only use the second method since I always want to switch tuners to
>ensure I don't have the first part or last part of a show in a different
>file.

Sounds like you've got some clock issues if this happens on a regular
basis to you.

>Warning: this does cause some increase conflicts requiring resolution
>but I have yet to have a conflict that cannot be resolved.

As long as you have two tuners yeah they can be resolved.  However
keeping these settings as low as possible reduces the amount of juggling
the scheduler has to do, using start early /end late for all your
recordings eliminates huge chunks of time that could be used for
recording but will not be.