[mythtv-users] Choppy video on Pundit&pvr350 backend&frontend system

Robert Rozman rozman at fri.uni-lj.si
Mon Apr 26 19:36:27 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm having choppy video playback of live tv and all recordings on Asus
pundit (P4 2.4G and Suse 9.0).

I've had problems with Xv not working, but got that to xvtest of 2400 FPS. I
have HD with 40 Mb/sec (measured with hdparm).

I'm running backend and frontend at nice of -19. I still get occasional
(every few seconds) freezes on video that shows as prebuffering pause in
mythfrontend. I understand that probably backend is not providing data fast
enough - but how could this happen? Playback (decoding of mpeg2) takes only
10-15% of CPU, I have pvr 350, so all resources should suffice for smooth
playback - BTW streams from this backend play ok on EPIA M9000 and even in
dsmyth (I have live tv stream at 3000 kbits/sec) on win32 laptop.

What is going on ? What to check again ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Robert.