[mythtv-users] G400 vertical grey bar

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 27 08:03:56 EDT 2004

On Monday 26 April 2004 20:02, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I've tried searching the archives but I can't turn up anything like I'm
> seeing.
> I'm using a G400, debian kernel 2.4.25. Everything works fine except for
> recording or watching live TV. The picture is all there except a bit
> squished and a grey bar down the right hand side. Mythvideo plays full
> screen. Xawtv works fine, no bar. lavrec and lavplay also work fine. It
> only seems to be mythtv that has this problem.
> I'm assuming it has something to do withe the record settings but I've
> tried 480x480 and 352x240 with decimation set to 2 under the live tv
> profile. Can anyone give me some pointers?
> The closest I saw in the archives required fbset but I couldnt get it to
> work on my setup. I get /dev/fb0 no such device. Even after insmod'ing
> matroxfb_maven and matroxfb_proc (I know the last shouldn't make any diff
> anyway)
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Hi Mark, another Mark here.

I've got a G400+RRG setup here. From what I can tell, the resolution settings
don't mean anything using the Matrox Marvel/RRG cards.  The decimation is the
only thing that matters.

I also get the grey bar.  It seems to be something to do with mythtv not
getting the aspect ratio quite right.  The best way to fix this is to stretch
and offset your horizontal settings.

In the frontend, go to settings-> TV-> Playback.  On the overscan screen, play
with the horizontal overscan and scan displacement (X).  I have mine set to 5
and 20 respectively.

Hope this helps,

Mark