[mythtv-users] Can mythtv be started without a wimdowmanager

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Tue Apr 27 12:12:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:43, Asciimonster wrote:
> I now have separate partitions for Linux and Linux-with-mythtv.
> I'm currently trying to remove unused things to speedup the boot-to-myth
> loadtime and have the entire process load automatically.
> I've changed from kde to fvwm2, and that speeded things up enormously.
>
> Just curious: can myth be started without starting a window manager? (Or
> conversely can it get the function of the window manager?)

You can run mythfrontend without a window manager, but it caused
problems for me when I was using mythvideo/dvd.

Better to do something like this (my .xinitrc) ...

ctwm &
irexec &
mythfrontend

I have irexec in there as some of my remote buttons call xosd.  Loading
mythfrontend last in the foreground will cause X to quit when you leave
myth.  If you want to try it without the window manager, just leave out
that line (ctwm for me, fvwm2 for you).

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>