[mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

Dan Boger mythtv at peeron.com
Tue Apr 27 13:20:36 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:54:59PM +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> i was saying two things

I wasn't going to comment, but since the thread refuses to die...

> stop using your wife/girlfriend/partner to represent somebody who is
> technically illiterate. it is not necessary and in my opinion
> insulting.

My wife is definitely a technical person - she runs networks of over
30,000 users without breaking a sweat.  However, that doesn't mean that
she likes (or even wants) to muck around in the innards of myth.  So
when something is broken (myth freezes for whatever reason), she _could_
log in to the box, kill the frontend and restart it with no problem -
but it's more hassle than it's worth for her, so she'll just switch back
to the Tivo.  That's an example of a bug that "reduces the wife
acceptance factor".

> if myth's UI is broken or hard to use or generally not of sufficient
> quality/robustness or is just plainly user unfriendly then say so and
> we can work to fix it. don't invoke "she who must be obeyed" (as you
> put it) as a reason.

The UI is friendly enough for people who are passionate about it - we
are willing to accept some downsides (even sometimes deny that they
exist!) to use this pretty cool piece of software.  But for someone less
passionate, myth is just an appliance - if your microwave didn't work as
you expected it, you'd get pretty annoyed.

So I think all the reports referring to the WAF are just saying "it's
working, and I'm happy with it - but the 'general public' isn't
accepting it".

Hope that made at least some sense.

Dan