[mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Apr 27 14:01:57 EDT 2004

>>> simon at koala.ie 04/27/04 13:07 PM >>>
>i was saying two things
>
>stop using your wife/girlfriend/partner to represent >somebody who is
>technically illiterate. it is not necessary and in my >opinion insulting.

That's the great thing - it's your opinion.  MY wife -
(not implying anyone else's) is technically
illiterate.  I, on the other hand, can't speak 8
different languages.  I am linguistically inept.  It's
not insulting - it's one of the things I realize
I don't do well and my wife excels at.  She sucks
at anything technical.

>if myth's UI is broken or hard to use or generally >not of sufficient
>quality/robustness or is just plainly user unfriendly >then say so and we can
>work to fix it. don't invoke "she who must be obeyed" >(as you put it) as a
>reason.

It's not that myth's UI is broken.  More like the
platform occasionally has hiccups that can not
be explained.  Then she tells me that our VCR doesn't
have this problem, so the technology isn't all that
great if it doesn't work.

>the two sort of got confused in my email and for wich >i apologise.

The bottom line is that my wife is the one who
complains when things don't work.  I don't.  I look
at what the problem is and I try to fix it.  Therefore,
I was hoping to minimize the amount of flack I get
when myth breaks for some unknown reason.  I figure
by trying to use iot daily I'm helping with debugging,
but I can't get to that point if my wife doesn't feel
comfortable using it in the first place.

Paul