[mythtv-users] references to "significant other"

Scott Francis scott.francis at newisys.com
Tue Apr 27 14:57:58 EDT 2004

The reason why PC is bad (IMHO) is related to the tongue in cheek reference that I made in my earlier post.  It's because it can be taken extremely overboard.  I for one believe it best to celebrate people's differences not try to hide/normalize/detract from them.  I have always thought the PC movement attempted to move everyone to the norm and that is a very boring world.  I personally try to find interesting and different people, strangely enough they are the most fun to be around.

Saying someone is technically illiterate is not a bash or criticism.  It is a fact (just as being male or female).  A lot of people who are not technically savvy have brilliant ideas on how to better this product.

The problem with the PC movement (in my view) is that it attempted to lobotomize the language so that people couldn't have discernable differences.  This was done all in the name of "not wanting to offend".  I for one am not the smartest, sexiest, funniest, wealthiest, etc. person on the planet.  I don't get mad or take it as a slight when people say so.  I accept your opinion and continue living my life.  Please feel free to disagree with me, I feel that too is your right.  Unfortunately it becomes a paradox because if you want me to accept your view of PC being right, then you also have to accept mine that it is not :(   This of course is the crux of the dilemma

Scott