[mythtv-users] Re:Lost SPDIF output after apt-get dist-upgrade

Couvrette, Jeffrey C. JEFFREY.C.COUVRETTE at saic.com
Tue Apr 27 15:24:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 18:34, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 17:59, John Sturgeon wrote:
> > I noticed the same thing. Then I checked the new mplayer man page,
> > guess what: -ao alsa9:spdif became -ao alsa1x:spdif That's
> > interesting.... They didn't even deprecate alsa9. It just got
> > dropped. I changed my .mplayer/config and all is well.
>
> Great, that fixed mplayer!
>
> What output device are you using for Myth? I can't get that to work :/
>
>Replying to my own message - I tried ALSA:spdif in the myth setup, and
>the frontend bombs out with a floating point exception when it tries to
>open the device. :(
>
>This used to work fine using /dev/dsp. Something has changed during the
>upgrade to prevent the OSS mapping working I guess.
>--
>Julian Edwards
>http://www.julian-edwards.com/

I just did a re-install going from RH9 to FC1 and had issues with alsa as
well.  Two channel sound worked fine through optical spdif without having to
touch the mixers following the good-ole Jarod's Install Guide.  But I had to
play around to get ac3 output.  By using the "-ac hwac3," string it works,
but trying "-ao alsa9" or "-ao alsa9:spdif" with or without the "-ac hwac3,"
string, I get silence.  I will try the alsa1x when I get home tonight.  My
current problem is that I can't adjust the volume using alsamixer or
gnome-alsamixer.  I have completely turned down the master volume and it is
still as loud as before using mplayer or playing recordings in mythtv.  Is
that because it isn't using native alsa when I don't include the "-ao
alsa1x" string?  Is there a different way to lower the output volume?  I'm
perfectly happy with the sound; I just don't want one of my roommates to
blow out my amp because the volume from my MythBox is higher than other
components.