[mythtv-users] Soundproblems only with TV

Carsten calle at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 28 04:01:00 EDT 2004

MythTV is an awesome project and It would even be better if I could hear sound
when watching TV. ;-)

So here is my problem:
Sound works in every case I have tested (kde stuff, xmms, play, aplay,
mplayer, xine, xawtv...) except one: The only place without sound is watching
live TV and watching recordings in MythTV.

System description:
I'm running MythTV 0.14 (binary deb-packages) under Debian (mainly testing)
with kernal 2.6.5 without any additional patches. So I'm using ALSA.
TV-card: Terratec Cinergy 600
Mainboard: Asus P4PE-X (AC97 onboard sound)
The audio patch cable from the cinergy to line-in of the mainboard is
connected and working (see below).

Configuration:
I have read the documentation "7. Configuring Sound" and "20.12
Troubleshooting audio" (and most of the rest).
arts and esd are not running. In the ALSA mixer line-in is muted and marked as
capture (as described in the documentation).

Conducted tests:
Sound in MythAudio, MythVideo and MythDVD works. Well okay, Video and DVD is
done by mplayer.
xawtv is working including sound, but I know this does not mean much for
MythTV. With muted line-in running xawtv shows the picture and
"aplay /dev/dsp" produces the desired sound as described in the
troubleshooting section.
So everything seems to be fine!?
Running this test with MythTV (tuning to a channel with MythTV shows the TV
image without sound, which is the problem) and then starting "aplay /dev/dsp"
just does nothing. No error, no sound.
Watching a recording is silent, too.

Messages from MythTV:
The output of mythbackend just gives the following lines. Even the commandline
option "-v all" does not produce more usefull information (apart from many
lines with numbers).
  Changing from None to RecordingOnly
  Using profile 'LiveTV' to record
  strange error flushing buffer

The last line comes from lame, afaik. Maybe it tells me, there is no sound
data?

When switching to Live TV you can hear a very small click from the
loudspeakers. So it seems the frontend is trying to play sound. I think the
problem is the backend, which is not able to record sound. But since there
are no usable error messages I don't know what to try next.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Carsten