[mythtv-users] Lost SPDIF output after apt-get dist-upgrade

Julian Edwards ed at julian-edwards.com
Wed Apr 28 05:56:48 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 02:57, James Armstrong wrote:
> John Sturgeon wrote:
> > I'm going from memory here, but I believe I use /dev/adsp0 my mapping
> > is done by setting up the oss modules.  here is my modules.conf:
> >
> > path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
> > # default path
> > path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
> >
> > # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> > # --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.3 ---
> > alias char-major-116 snd
> > alias char-major-14 soundcore
> > alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2
> > options snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2
> > alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
> > # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> >
> I was hoping this would fix me. I have the intel8x0 and can get spdif
> with mplayer but not with myth. My modules.conf looks just like yours
> but when I changed myth to use /dev/adsp0 it comes back with 'No such
> Device' when playing shows. I checked /dev/adsp* and have adsp0 - 3. Any
> thoughts?

It's nothing to do with the files in /dev, it's the fact that the OSS
emulation is mapped to a non-existent device.  From reading the ALSA
wiki pages you need to:

$ cat /dev/asound/devices

Which will give you something like:
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent
  9: [0- 1]: raw midi
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 19: [0- 3]: digital audio playback
 26: [0- 2]: digital audio capture
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer

You can then put the [x-y] values from this output for where it says
"digital audio playback" into the -D flag for aplay -D hw:x,y

eg:
$ aplay -D hw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

For me, -D 0,0 results in it coming out of the analog port and -D 0,3
gives the "no such device error".  You are supposed to be able to get it
working via OSS if you get the right device numbers and then you can
load the snd-pcm-oss module with the option dsp_map=y when you get the
right device number.

I am currently posting on the alsa-users mailing list to see if I can
get any help there since mine just won't work for OSS :(

Julian Edwards
http://www.julian-edwards.com/