[mythtv-users] Bad News for me...a warning to all

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Wed Apr 28 11:15:16 EDT 2004

> Ok while we're at it, does anyone have suggestions on a good, solid mobo
> for a file server (eventually I'll be doing raid-5 but I don't mind
> doing it in software), that has maybe 4 or 6 ide channels?  Or even
> without, as long as there's no audio/video onboard?

I really happy with the Intel series of motherboards.  While they're not
the super performance beasts that you see headlined in Tom's Hardware,
I've found them to be extremely stable.  I think the 865G series offers
something like 6PCI + 1AGP.  (but it has onboard video)

Personally, I've installed two 865PERL-L's (one for me, one a custom
MythTV build) with 8USB 2.0 + 3 Firewire + 2xSATA + 2xATA100 + sound +
fast e and they've been rock solid.  I've also put in a refurb 3Ware
7500-4LP RAID-5 card and have been super happy with that too.  (Newegg
is a godsend for those that like to put their own machines together)

Don't get the Promise SX-4000 RAID card if you're thinking of hardware RAID.