[mythtv-users] No audio in standalone DVD player from burned DVD

Gerald Gryschuk gerald.gryschuk at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 28 23:21:00 EDT 2004

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for what to look at for my
problem.

Basically I've used one of the scripts posted here to burn video
recording from a PVR-250 to a DVD in standard DVD format. The DVD plays
fine in Xine including sound. However if I put it in my (admittedly
cheap) standalone DVD player I get no sound. The audio part of the
recording was recorded at 48 kHz audio (384 kbit/sec) which I thought
was the standard required. Mplex even reports that this is the bit rate
and frequency so I'm not fooling myself there.

I thought I read something somewhere sometime(how's that for vague?)
about some players requiring ac3 format as the audio. What's up with
that? Is this possibly an issue in my case? I don't do anything to the
videos beyond splitting them using mpeg2desc and remultiplexing using
mplex.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Gerald Gryschuk <gerald.gryschuk at shaw.ca>