[mythtv-users] Dual Tuner CPU Scaling

Kyle E Wenda kew4437 at exchange.uta.edu
Thu Apr 29 03:10:12 EDT 2004

I have noticed that when performing one recording, my P4/1.8 dual-bttv
machine will run at about 35% CPU load with MPEG4 encoding.  When
performing two recordings, you would expect the load to be 70% or so,
but it is not - it is pegged at about 98%.  A couple of frames from each
recording are dropped per minute, but it's hardly noticeable.  My
question is, why doesn't this scale like you would expect it to?  I was
thinking I might be able to jam 3 cards into the machine, if the
recordings scaled properly.

See system stats here:
http://dsl.kylewenda.com/stats/mrtg/blaster-stats.html  Blue line
represents CPU load as a percentage, and fill color represents amount of
free video storage space as a percentage.