[mythtv-users] Dual Tuner CPU Scaling

Shawn Asmussen asmussen at cox.net
Thu Apr 29 10:11:13 EDT 2004

Well, it's kind of hard to say without more information. The info in those
graphs isn't very helpful for tracking down this kind of problem.
Processes don't always scale completely linearly in these kinds of
situations. One reason is context switching, which is the overhead
involved in switching back and forth between processes. That's probably
not enough to cause the size of difference you're seeing though. As one
person already mentioned, if you're running low on RAM when you're
encoding two shows at once, a big performance hit could result. If you
were to post some more info, we might be able to help you determine where
you're problem lies. If you were to capture the output of this command:

top -b -n 1 | head -25

both while one show is recording, and while two shows are recording, so
that we can see the difference, that would probably be a good starting
place. Top is often a good starting point in these kinds of situations,
and the -b option will tell it to run in batch mode, with the -n 1 option
telling to to just run once and exit instead of running every 5 seconds
which is the default. That should give us an idea of what processes are
using how much cpu time, and what your memory utilization looks like.

Shawn Asmussen