[mythtv-users] Lost SPDIF output after apt-get dist-upgrade

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Thu Apr 29 12:13:28 EDT 2004

Julian Edwards wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:56, Julian Edwards wrote:
>

>>I am currently posting on the alsa-users mailing list to see if I can
>>get any help there since mine just won't work for OSS :(
>>

>At last I have got this fixed thanks to a very helpful guy on the
>Alsa-users list called Peter Zubaj.  This is his response:
>

>=========
>"IEC958 Optical Raw Playback Switch" - it is used for AC3 pasthrough
>
>should be muted - for oss emulation, midi playback, wave playback, ..
>alias normal ussage
>
>should be unmuted - for spdif blayback (Raw passthrough of AC3
>stream through spdif, unaltered spdif playback) using spdif device.
>
>"IEC958 Optical Raw Playback Switch" should be muted in your case,
>please mute it.
>=======
>
>After I muted it, OSS emulation is fine, yay.  When you use the spdif
>interface directly, apparently it sets the levels automatically so you
>don't need to worry about unmuting for mplayer/xine/ogle native alsa
>spdif usage.
>
>Hope that helps someone else too.
>J.

I still have not been able to get spdif working with Myth on my new
frontend. I can get it to work with mplayer using the alsa1x:spdif
option. I am using the intel8x0 chip. What device do I use to get oss
emulation access? I have tried /dev/adsp0 but it says No Such Device.
Why won't myth work with spdif if mplayer will? I tried the ALSA:spdif
option as the device but get a floating point exception.

- James