[mythtv-users] Pundit front LED dimming

Poobah poobah at techsquadron.com
Thu Apr 29 18:05:04 EDT 2004

Most LED dimmers use a duty cylce of some sort to lessen the ammount of "on" time.  A pot might work, but I think it would have a real narrow spot between off and nearly full bright.  A small 10 turn pot might work if you don't want to adjust it very often.

For power LEDs you could use a 555 timer and make the duty cylce variable.  It might pull too much current off the motherboard.  I think the hard drive flashes would be too fast as they are to charge a cap up.

The "best" way that I can think of to do it would be a PIC microcontroller that is powered off of a drive power plug, and modulates the power and HD LEDs when it gets a signal from them.  Needs a little more engineering, though ;-)

Mark Hanson