[mythtv-users] New User

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Apr 29 18:26:42 EDT 2004

Paul Kidwell wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now and I've finally
>decided to construct my own Myth-TV box. At present the plan calls for a
>single box running the front and backend with a PVR 350 and a PVR 250
>installed.

First rule: Don't start a new topic by replying to an old topic.  It
mucks with archiving software, plus for everyone with threaded mail
clients you post shows up as part of the SO thread which a good number
of people are ignoring.

>Mother Board: ASUS SiS650GX Chipset, Model P4SGX-MX
>
>Processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Northwood
>Core

Unless you're really in love with Intel you'll get more bang for the
buck with an AMD CPU and an nForce2 motherboard.

>Hard Drive: Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y160L0

You might check silentpcreview.com for their reccomended hard drives.
I'm not sure where that one rates, but silence is golden.

>Video: Hauppauge, Model "WinTV PVR 350" And, Hauppauge, Model "WinTV PVR
>250"

You're better off with two 250s and an Nvidia card (or an Nforce2 MB
with built in TV out).  The 350 is going to lock you into std definition
output only, plus it's next to useless for anything other than MPEG2
playback.

You didn't mention what you were doing for sound, or for cooling....
Both are important considerations.