[mythtv-users] interlaced vs not?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Apr 30 19:27:43 EDT 2004

> Where did you hear of this definition?   I've never heard of that before.

I worked for Computer City in high school...  We sold monitors labeled
interlaced (old style, think of a brick wall with staggered bricks) or
non-interlaced (trinitron style, all pixels line up evenly on a grid)..
Then came the weird ones like NEC which were triangles of pixels, or
viewsonic's array of staggered dots.  Either way, many tv's are still
the old staggered-style pixel layout, and there is software (early
tv-out cards, anyway) that modified the "non-interlaced" vga signal so
it would look better on a tv screen.

> When talking about video, that's what interlacing means.   Two fields per
> frame, drawn sequentially to appear as if the frame is a single entity.
> In the early days of television, that's how the engineers were able to cut
> down the bandwidth required to draw the picture on the screen.

Yeah, that's what I assumed.  So how do I know if my signal is
interlaced?

-Chris