[mythtv-users] Quality of DVD playback NOT equal to mid-grade DVD player

john roberts homepagez at lycos.com
Sun Aug 1 09:12:40 EDT 2004

Hello - I've been a happy user of Mythtv for almost a year now... I use it mostly for music, games, tv and DIVX archive of movies.

Once in a while I slap a DVD into mythDVD (which is using the latest version of xine) and I wonder "hummm - I THINK the playback quality is not the same as my old Progressive scan DVD player...  I should plug the old DVD player back in and check..."

So - I finally got to checking this - and sure enough - there is a HUGE difference in playback quality.

My DVD player is a mid-grade Progressive Scan DVD player - and I'm feeding the TV (Samsung DLP 16x9 model) via component video.

The Mythtv is using a FX5500 via a DVI connection.  I'm using Xine 0.99.1 for DVD playback under mythtv and I have the latest nVidia drivers loaded.

My Modeline looks like:

        # 1280x720 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 44.76 kHz; pclk: 74.48 MHz
            Modeline "1280x720_60.00"  74.48  1280 1336 1472 1664  720 721 724 746  -HSync +Vsync

One thing I never understood about Modelines - does the modeline determine if you send an interlaced or a non-interlaced signal?

The effects I see are (when playing back with MythDVD):

- Colors don't seem as sharp
- Interlace issues - jagged with movement

Any ideas on what I should look at to improve this?  I had to resort to connecting the old progressive DVD player to play DVD's.

Any help would be great,

Thanks everyone,

-John