[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 12:59:34 EDT 2004

At 17:47 02/08/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>         I'm looking into building a "silent" combined front/back end mythtv
>box. As such, I've been considering a EPIA based solution. I'm going to
>be using one/two DVB cards so I don't need a lot of grunt to do the
>encoding, but I will need enough horse power decode. I'm wondering about
>getting a 10000M but I was wondering about how much noise the fan makes,
>(given that it'll be sat in a silent room).
>
>Any thoughts/comments from anyone ?

Some people have reported that the fans on EPIA systems can be a little
louder than expected; alot of people have simply bought a "proper" fan
(with or without and adapter to take a larger, lower rpm fan) to replace it
with, although if you're picking a dinkalicious case this may not be an option.

And contrary to my previous opinion, lots of people seem to have no
problems with the CPU on the EPIA's now. They used to suck a bit for MPEG4
and the like, but seem much better now.

Won't you have rather a lot of difficulty getting 2 PCI cards into a board
with only one PCI slot? There's the possibility of riser cards I guess, but
I don't know how well the EPIA's play ball with these.

Your over-cautious luddite ;)