[mythtv-users] EPIA fan noise ?

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 2 17:59:00 EDT 2004

Maarten wrote:

>On Monday 02 August 2004 18:59, Stephen Tait wrote:
>

>>At 17:47 02/08/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>>

>>Won't you have rather a lot of difficulty getting 2 PCI cards into a board
>>with only one PCI slot? There's the possibility of riser cards I guess, but
>>I don't know how well the EPIA's play ball with these.
>>

>In any case, a PCI riser card 'rises' only one PCI slot.  You cannot put a
>two-slot risercard in one slot and expect both slots to work then. PCI isn't
>designed that way.

Erm, yes it is, all PCI slots share the same data and address lines,
it's a bus remember.
The IRQ's are usually connected in a round robin way, IRQ A is IRQ B on
the second slot and IRQ C on the third etc. A PCI card normally takes up
the first IRQ but can take second, third or fourth. All PCI cards should
be able to share IRQ's but some are more well behaved than others...

There are lots of proprietary motherboards around which have only one
PCI slot with a riser to create 2, 3 or 4 horizontal PCI slots. (Low
profile Compaqs, HPs etc.)

Gert