[mythtv-users] mainboard for mythtv

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 18:28:25 EDT 2004

At 00:08 03/08/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi there !
>
>Im still a Newbie and try to build a PC only for mythtv.
>
>I bought a barbone-case (Antec Aria) and now I need the mainboard. I can use
>only micro-atx-size and want an athlon-board (cheaper)!
>
>I tried very hard to find one with full linux-support. I do not need a good
>onboard-graphic. Only for installation.
>
>Any tips for a good and full working board or a link? Athlon
>1800+/Usb2.0/Ata133/Lan/3xPCI/good sound are necessary.
>
>Regards
>--
>Thorsten Mampel

You'd prolly be best off with an nForce2 board for decent Linux support,
but in the UK at least these are a bit hard to get hold of.

I got a Gigabyte VM-400MFP or something like that, using the VIA MK400, and
so far haven't had any problems with DMA or anything nasty like that. I
don't use the onboard sound, I have a cheap Audigy in there instead, so I
can't comment on the quality (other than the general "AC97 suXx0rz, Audigy
r00lz!" fanboyism).

One thing to note is that it's a bit picky about GFX cards, and will only
post using the onboard Unichrome or with an AGP 8x card; AGP 4x and below
doesn't work.

So far there's been no hardware issues. I was experiencing kernel panics
when I upgraded to 2.4.26 (have since rolled back to 2.4.25), but I think
this was more of a kernel issue than a hardware issue (nothing in the logs,
bah!).