[mythtv-users] Mpeg4 Mpeg2 and non-mythTV viewing

Ryan Rawson ryan at invasioncity.com
Tue Aug 3 17:10:48 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a WinTV 250 card, a great card, especially awesome how it does
hardware mpeg2 encoding.  Well supported in mythtv right out of the
box, I have no complaints.

The tricky part for me is that I am not viewing the video on a mythtv
frontend.  I am using vlc on a Mac OS X machine over the network to
view the mpeg2 streams mythTV recorded for me.  This works out great.
Except I decided to mess around with transcoding, and now I've
transcoded some recordings to mpeg4.  Now the .nuv files have system
headers and vlc isn't happy anymore.  I messed around with nuvexport
but it didn't want to work for me, plus it kept on trying to transcode
the streams.  I just want to extract the AV mpeg4 stream in a manner
that VLC can read!  Nothing else fancy than that for me :-)

Anyone else use VLC as a 'front end' to mythtv?

Thanks,
-ryan