[mythtv-users] maxnewest | maxepisodes | autoexpire

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Aug 4 17:05:38 EDT 2004

> > the Watch Recordings and Delete screens.  Here's how it would be handled:

> Sounds good.
>
> When "auto expiring", would it make sense to sort by lowest priority first,
> then age?  I get the impression that it currently just checks age.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

The auto-expire code was designed to allow the easy addition of other
methods of determining which program to auto-expire.  Currently the only
option available on the setup screen is "Oldest", so it expires the oldest
recording set to auto-expire.  To add another method of auto-expiring is as
easy as adding another value to the combobox and implenting the function to
select the list of recordings in the right order for that new option.
I considered storing the priority that a recording was recorded at in the
recorded table and adding a "Lowest Priority" auto-expire method, but never
got around to it since I never have run into the situation where I've wanted
that.  People who record lots of shows they don't watch would probably want
an option like that, so if anyone wants to add it, feel free to submit a
patch.  If you look in mythtv/programs/mythbackend/autoexpire.cpp,
AutoExpire::FillExpireList just looks at the value of the AutoExpireMethod
setting and calls the appropriate method to fill in the expire list.
Currently, the only method in the case statement is FillOldestFirst().
Adding a new "Lowest Priority" would be rather simple.  You'd have to store
the recording priority in the recorded table, but that's simple also.

--

Chris