[mythtv-users] OT: Tivo Users Can, So Can MythTV users?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Aug 4 22:36:47 EDT 2004

> 1)  Mirror exactly what Tivo will be doing.  You record, and send.  I
> know that this can already be done, but it's certainly not a "part" of
> MythTV.

Difference:  Tivo has DRM to make sure that your recording will never
leave a small group of friends.  This is what keeps the FCC happy, and
the big boys only fuming mad instead of homicidal.

The fact that mythtv is open source guarantees that it will never have
(effective) DRM, and thus leaves it out of the loop as far as the legal
sharing goes.

-Chris