[mythtv-users] Connecting a set top/satellite receiver to PVR 250, static listen on channel 3 with IR changer

Jeff C myth at express.tc
Thu Aug 5 10:47:52 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I currently have a .15 setup with a single PVR 250.  The install is
KnoppMyth.

I have successfully installed a second iteration of lirc thanks to some
great docs I found referenced on here (
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_M
odified_LIRC.html )regarding getting Dish network boxes going with serial IR
transmitters.

The challenge I have is that my cableco uses a low tech box from Europe that
only has mono RCA outs or a coax output.  I have my linux machine
successfully changing the channels via the IR transmitter, and I have a
channel change script suitable for Myth.... however....  I want to connect
the set top box to myth via the coaxial connection (to take advantage of the
combined audio and video encoding on the PVR 250 rather than having to tie
up my sound card for recordings).  I can't seem to figure out how to tell
Myth that I want to leave the PVR 250 "tuner" listening to channel 3 and use
the external channel change script to change the channel.  It seems to only
respect the channel change script if the input connection is something other
than the Tuner (ie the RCA or SVideo input).

Is there a way I can have Myth listen to the Tuner port on channel 3 and use
the external channel change script?

Further, I have another PVR 250 on the way, and when that comes what I hope
to do is get all my none scrambled channels straight from the Tuner on that
card (as the box seems to degrade picture quality) and then set up my
scrambled channels as above, on the second card.  That way I will get the
highest quality for most of my channels, assuming I can get it working on
the tuner card... or if someone points out the PVR 250 will do separate
audio encoding (which I don't think it does, but please correct me if I'm
wrong...)

-Jeff