[mythtv-users] nvidia tv-out passthrough to pvr350 s-video-in?

Sascha Uelpenich sascha.u at gmx.net
Fri Aug 6 08:44:07 EDT 2004

René Pollesch wrote:
> Sascha wrote:
>

>>I'm currently trying to figure out if it is possible to combine the
>>advantages of both cards (good quality of pvr's tv-out w/ fast divx playback
>>of the nvidia card) with the following measures:
>>
>>- Set up both tv-outs as xinerama screens (already did that, it works)
>>- Connect the nvidia's tv-out w/ the pvr's s-video-in (already did that,
>>too)
>>- Configure mplayer in mythtv for DVD, (S)VCD and DivX with option
>>"-xineramascreen 1" which is the nvidia's xinerama screen (did that, did not
>>work :-( )
>>- Start mplayer in mythtv with a script that configures the pvr to
>>passthrough the input of its s-video-in to its tv-out. I tried that with
>>several combinations of ivtvctl -n, -p, -P, -l, -K but ... unfortunately to
>>no avail.
>>
>>What I'd like to know is:
>>
>>- Is this a feasible way to go or are there any pitfalls that I have
>>overlooked?
>

> [...]
>
> I don't think so, because you're still using the nVidia's TV-Out which
> is responsible for the "bad" quality and I can't imagine that the
> PVR-350 will improve your signal quality in any way. Please correct me
> if I'm wrong because I am interessted in a solution of this problem,
> too.

Hi Rene,

thanks for your reply. I think I should have pointed out that I could
live with the quality of the nvidias tv-out for divx movies. With the
above mentioned solution I would at least have a huge improvement for
live tv and recordings compared to the situation when I only used the
nvidia's tv-out. In addition, I could passthrough the nvidia's
s-vidio-signal to the pvr whereas my tv only has a composite input ...
Thus, a better nvidia signal is passed through the pvr's
high-quality-tv-out. Hm. Does that make sense? Does that mean that the
pvr would have to convert the s-video input signal to composite? Is the
pvr able to perform this? Or is my proposed solution only feasible if
the pvr's video-in receives a composite signal?

Ciao,
Sascha