[mythtv-users] Re: no audio with bt878 card

Paul Harvey paulharvey at myrealbox.com
Sun Aug 8 18:59:38 EDT 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:

> Tyler Whitney wrote:
>
>> Correct, the audio in xawtv is perfectly fine but i'm not able to use
>> the record app or mythtv.    In fact, xawtv doesn't care if linein is
>> muted or unmuted.
>

> Then you've been looking at the wrong input all along. Try to
> mute AUX, CD, MIC, etc. until you find the one that will mute
> and unmute xawtv. Set that one as CAPTUR.
>
> Other stuff; btaudio won't work with your card even if you did
> get the module to load. That's a dead end. Don't waste any more
> time with that.
>
> "record" was a suggestion as a quick check to verify that you
> had the capture set correctly. You don't. That tool is not the
> focus, stop focusing on it.
>
> Instead, take a few minutes to read and understand the HOWTO
> section on "Troubleshooting audio".
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-20.html#ss20.5
>
> Read all the words and think about it. If you hear audio with
> xawtv, there is an input that is getting the analog signal from
> the TV audio source. You simply need to identify which input that
> is, tell the DSP to digitize the signal from that source by marking
> it "CAPTUR" with /usr/bin/alsamixer and set the record volume level
> with the "Capture" slider(s).
>
> --  bjm

Can't disagree with most of what Bruce says, but do we have enough
information to say btaudio won't work?

What card are you using?  In /proc/pci (or lspci) what do you see for
the tuner card?  Do you see two entries, one that says video capture,
the other audio capture?  If you only see one entry, then btaudio will
NOT work.  If you see two entries, it MIGHT work....  You will need to
select the BT878 audio driver under the OSS section of ALSA to get the
btaudio module compiled.

--plh