[mythtv-users] FTA Satellite Receivers -- Satellite Alignment

Paul Harvey paulharvey at myrealbox.com
Sun Aug 8 22:29:02 EDT 2004

Jack Burghardt wrote:

>Well I got Telestar 5 going. Do you have sat meater is very helpful also
>small TV and tunner will help you a lot. You need to calculate satelite
>location too and have compas to point the dish and use sat meater to make
>final ajustments. When you have small tv that let you watch signal strenght
>but sat meater is much better.

Figured it out (sort of, still don't have it totally lined up and
working).  The problem is the VP1020 card.  It takes a long time to lock
on to the satellite signal.  If I use the sat meter to get the strongest
signal, and wait a while it works :) but I'm having problems fine-tuning
it because of the time lag. :(  I've decided that the card has to go.

Is it worth the extra money to get a Hauppauge Nexus-s instead of
Nova-s?  Is the hardware MPEG decoder supported under Linux/MythTV?

Thanks!

--PLH