[mythtv-users] Pundit

Charlie Brej brejc8 at vu.a.la
Mon Aug 9 05:34:14 EDT 2004

Larry Compton wrote:
> - All of the pictures I have seen show the Pundit
> sitting upright. Can it sit horizontally without
> compromising the cooling? I want to place it in an
> entertainment center.

I wanted it to be flat but I decided to have it upright in the end for three
reasons.

- The bottom foot that comes off is black but the metal under it is not. So I
would have to spray / cover it or something

- The hole on one side of the case for the cpu fan is on the correct side (so it
points upwards along with the CD tray). But I was worried that my girlfriend
would put a nice doiley over the hole and suffercate my machine.

- The front cover that covers the connectors can not open if the box is laid
flat. You would need to put some feet on the box or dangle the front over the edge.

> - Is the 200W power supply adequate for a 200GB disk
> drive, DVD-ROM, and PVR-350 (in addition to the
> motherboard, of course)?

I have a 120GB disk and a DVD-RW and hammer the machine night and day with no
probs. (Its very quiet btw)

Watch out because there are two pundit boxes out there. The old one (533MHz FSB)
is the one most people have but the new ("Pundit-R"?) is quite different inside.
I heard it has parts not supported by linux.

--
         Charlie Brej
APT Group, Dept. Computer Science, University of Manchester