[mythtv-users] Multiple backends not working together

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 04:51:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've had a single backend with a dvb tuner and a seperate frontend
working for a while with no problems.  Recently I acquired an analog tv
tuner card which I put in the frontend machine and I'm now trying to get
it working with the existing backend as the master.

I created a second source on the master backend and ran mythfilldatabase
as the two cards have a different (but overlapping) set of channels they
can receive.  I then ran setup on the machine with the new card and
configured all the IPs, the card and the channels.  Without the new
frontend started I can still watch all the channels from the existing
backend fine.  When I start the new backend I can only watch channels
from the new backend and attempts to select one of the other channels
results in an error in the (new) backend log about not being able to
tune to the relevant channel.  It seems like it can't switch between
watching live tv across different backends, is this a restriction of
myth or have I set something up incorrectly?

Any help would be appreciated as I can't see what I've done wrong and I
havn't found anything about this problem in any of the guides I've read?

JD