[mythtv-users] DISH 811 and Myth

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Aug 10 14:49:37 EDT 2004

Brian wrote:

>Hello.  I am considering making a Myth box however I'm not sure if I will
>be able to do what I want.  I have a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV however I don't
>have a receiver or OTA antennae to get HD.  I plan to purchase the DISH811
>http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/dish_811.pdf so
>I can finally take advantage of HDTV.  I could get Dish Networks HD
>package however I doubt I will be able to pull in any OTA HD signals.  I
>live in the country so Dish is my only option.
>
>Here's the problem.  I currently have a standard def PVR going into my TV
>and I would lose the PVR if I got the 811.  Is it possible to use the HD
>part of the 811 with Myth to record HD?  Is anyone doing this?  Apparently
>it outputs HD through either DVI or component.  The Hauppauge PVR250
>doesn't have inputs for that.  Would I have to get a DVI/Component to
>S-Video adapter?  Would that affect quality?  Is there anything I am
>missing?  I wouldn't think I am asking to do something out of the
>ordinary.
>
>I thought about buying the Dish921 however if I'm going to spend $1000 on
>a PVR, I would rather put the money towards Myth.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>--
>Brian

I currently use the 721 and it's awesome (in addition to my MythTV
box...).  The only reason I didn't purchase the 921(based on the same
software as the 721) was because I felt like I could build an HD-HTPC
for roughly the same ammount, and get more flexibility.  Since you can't
receive OTA broadcasts where you live, then the way I see it, the 921 is
your best bet.  Besides... it uses Linux ;).

--
John Sturgeon <><