[mythtv-users] MythWeather in web interface

Terrence Martin tmartin at physics.ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 10 19:21:13 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen wrote:

>> Doesn't it seem a bit silly to scrape web content to display in a web
>> interface when you could just visit the site being scraped in the
>> first place?
>

> Which is why I had dropped my desires to dig into it.  However, it
> makes sense IF the site being scraped is full of ads, is poorly laid
> out, etc.  Frankly, I think mythweb's little weather graphics are much
> better than the commercial sites'.  However, I do agree that it seems
> silly.
>
> -Chris

What is silly is not one but two people flaming this guy for wanting to
build a feature I personally would like to see.

I think it is the height of hypocrisy for someone to flame him for his
idea while they are on the MythTV mail list. A mail list devoted to the
usage of a system whose basic functionality can be had cheaper and more
easily with commercial devices. By going with MythTV over the commercial
alternatives you have shown that you value personal freedom and
flexibility over allowing someone else to tell you how and when you will
get your television programs and what software/hardware you have to use
to do it.  Not only that you probably appreciate the intrinsic value in
something you built yourself above what you can just pull out of a box.
It is pretty bad  to see people criticize someone for doing what is
pretty much exactly what they are doing using MythTV in the first place.

Adding MythWeather to MythWeb is completely inline with the spirit of
MythTV and a good idea. If he wants to put in the effort to develop this
that is great.

Terrence