[mythtv-users] TODAY, which is better: Radeon 9100IGP, or GeForce 5700?

Steven mythmail at richardstraat.homedns.org
Wed Aug 11 04:35:57 EDT 2004

David wrote:
> Dean Blackburn wrote:
>
>> howdy, I have some machines getting ready to be built, and we have one
>> last decision to make: Go ATI or Nvidia with video out. On the windows
>> side, things lean a bit towards the ATI, and certainly from a cost*
>> perspective, it's a huge win, but I've seen so many posts about ATI
>> card difficulties.
>>
>> Is this really a big deal? One problem with a project like this, is
>> that the main developers and maintainers almost always try to steer
>> clear of endorsing specific hardware/distros/etc, in part because if
>> they appear to support something specific, they'll get hatemail from
>> everyone else, and support queries from those that buy what they
>> suggest. Understandable, but at times inconvenient...
>>
>> Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone's had, say, "great success" with
>> the Radeon 9100IGP, or if I should just hunker down and go with a
>> 5700. I should also mention that these machines will* be dual boot,
>> and will occasionally need the myth-wasted graphics horsepower for
>> various windows (and linux??) apps, games, etc.
>>
> For _Myth_ I'd go with Radeon.
> Their drivers may be closed but a) they exist and b) they support all
> their latest cards.
>
> Kudos to ATI for releasing the specs etc - but given their size, the
> size of the market and Radeon's obvious efforts, specs+(re)source would
> be better.

b) is not true. The Radeon 9100 IGP the original poster mentions is NOT
supported by the ATI Linux driver at the moment (and I read somewhere
that they do not plan do so because of the xbox2 deal they closed with
MS). It is supported with the latest open source driver but this doesn't
have tv-out support (wich might be relevant for a myth system)