[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend

Adam Clarke adam at ngindex.com
Wed Aug 11 20:23:40 EDT 2004

Hi

Ive been using an xbox as a front end for a while. I use the RGB outpur
from an xbox with a set of scripts to change the video output modes. As
for video output, 720x480 and 720x576 (standard PAL and NTSC) dont work
due to a bug in the nv linux x-windows driver. Fortunatly, 704x480 @
60Hz, and 704x576 @ 50Hz work perfectly.

If you dig up a copy of xbv for xbox-linux, the command for playing PAL
video is:

xbv DIS_FFILT 1 -PAL -auto 704 576 0 0

For ntsc its

xbv DIS_FFILT 1 -NTSC -auto 704 480 0 0

These will give unfiltered display output modes, perfect for displaying
video. The scripts switch the video mode to either of the above for
PAL/NTSC video, or

xbv DIS_FFILT 0 -PAL -auto 704 576 0 0

for the displaying of the mythtv menus. You also need to change
X-Windows to the relevant display modes. I dont have the X-Windows modes
around at the moment, but for the framebuffer on an xbox the following
works ok and you can use the fbset -x to get the X-Windows modelines.

For 720x576 @ 50Hz, i used:

fbset -g 720 576 720 756 32 -t 36036 8 56 32 12 104 5 -extsync true
-accel true
/etc/xbv/xbv DIS_FFILT 1 -auto 720 576 0 0

For 720x480 @ 60Hz, i used:

fbset -g 720 480 720 480 32 -t 37000 56 18 29 9 64 7 -extsync true
-accel true
/etc/xbv/xbv DIS_FFILT 1 -NTSC -auto 720 480 0 0

If needed i can find the modelines.

If you need widescreen support, set the displaysize in the XF86Config
file, and use the command -monitoraspect 16/9 for the mplayer command line.

For alse digital support, add '-ac hwac3,' to the mplayer command line.
You need to remember the , because if the sound on the file playing with
mplayer isnt AC3, then it decodes it and plays stereo.

Hope this helps

Adam

Bas