[mythtv-users] could not connect to the master backend server

Jonathan Stoneman jonathan at stoneman.me.uk
Thu Aug 12 10:11:36 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 18:51, Chris Strom wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:47:53PM +0100, Jonathan Stoneman wrote:
> > During the setup of the frontend server, I was asked for the IP of the
> > MySQL server, but I don't recall being asked for the IP of the backend
> > server.  I've not found anywhere to set it in the MythTV settings
> > section or in the settings table of the mythconverg database.  Google
> > has not been my friend this time either.
>
> You set this during configuration of the *backend* server. See the
> "General" section in:
>
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1
>
> If you've done it correctly, then you *should* have something in the
> settings table in mythconverg:
>
> mysql> select * from settings where value='MasterServerIP';
> +----------------+--------------+----------+
> | value          | data         | hostname |
> +----------------+--------------+----------+
> | MasterServerIP | 127.0.0.1    | NULL     |
> +----------------+--------------+----------+
> 1 rows in set (0.01 sec)
>
> Your data value should be something other than 127.0.0.1 since you're
> running a separate frontend.

Thanks for your help.  I'd actually worked this out when I looked at the
source code (which I found nice to read and far more informative than
the docs).  I've not had access to this e-mail account though so
couldn't respond to the list.

The how-to (the page you advised I look at above in fact) said "If you
will have multiple backends, then do not use the "127.0.0.1" IP
address." which is what threw me.  I thought that since I had only one
back end and one front end that I should use 127.0.0.1.

Having set the IP correctly (and downgraded from the cvs version to 0.15
for compatibility with mythtv-xbox), everything is working and am very
happy with the system.

Thanks again,

Jon.