Feature suggestion (was Re: [mythtv-users] Moving files between Backends)

Chris Strom mythtv at eeeCooks.com
Thu Aug 12 12:58:08 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:26:47PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 11:56, Josh Renzema wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a rather interesting situation and I am hoping that someone
> > may have an idea or two...
> >
> > I am currently in Sweden and have configured a Myth box (backend and
> > front on the same box).  I have the same configuration in the USA as
> > well.
> >
> > Currently I am recording shows in the USA, exporting them to Xvid
> > using nuvexport, and them watching them here in Sweden using a
> > regular movie player.
> >
> > I would like to integrate the two boxes somehow.  Preferably I would
> > like to record the shows locally in the USA, then move the recorded
> > files to Sweden and have the recorded shows display in the recorded
> > shows area.
> >
> > I have thought about simply making one a Front-end box, but I don't
> > think that will work because of the bandwidth issue - At best I can
> > move about 30Kps - not nearly enough to support playback.
> >

> Hmm, I know this isn't really a solution to your immediate problem, but
> here's a feature sugggestion: what if the frontend could cache a
> playlist?  By that I mean adding an option to the frontend to queue a
> recording for playback, which would cause it to fetch the file from the
> backend into a local cache directory.  Once the file was cached, a
> status icon would appear/change, and you'd be able to play back the
> recording locally.
>
> This would be great for those with limited bandwidth, like internet or
> 802.11b frontends.  You could still get away with a relatively small
> disk on the frontend.
>
> As always, this is not a 'feature request'.  It's just that when I have
> ideas like this, I feel it's important to 'put it out there' in case
> there's someone out there who thinks it's a good enough idea that they
> want to write the code.

You can already do something like this as long as you have mythbackend
and mysql on your frontend.  Just dump the mythconverg DB on your
backend (per http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.5), copy
it to your frontend, follow the instructions for restoring the DB.  Then
edit mysql.txt to point to the mysql server running on the frontend and
change DBHostName to be that of your backend.  Then copy over the nuvs
that you're interested in watching to your frontend.  Start up
mythbackend, then mythfrontend and you're good to go.

I was quite pleased with myself for using this method to be able to
watch Trouble with Tribbles on my laptop in the hospital after my
daughter was born.  Don't ask me why, I just got a kick out of it :)

For the original poster's question, doesn't nuvexport allow you to dump
both the SQL and the NUV for migrating between machines?

-Chris