[mythtv-users] avidemux2 nuv->avi sync problems

rick schultz rick.schultz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:26:54 EDT 2004

This may turn out to be an avidemux bug, but I thought I'd ask about
it here first in case any of you have seen this before.  I'm trying to
find the shortest route between "Watch Recordings" (playback through
mythtv) and "Videos" (playback through mplayer[1]).  There are a
number of shows I'd like to hold onto, but I'd like to move them to
another machine (to free up some space for new recordings) and be able
to play them back without altering myth's database.

I finally built avidemux2 from cvs and downloaded mythtv.  I found the
mythname.pl script in the contrib directory and convinced it[2] to
output enough information that I could write a giant bash for loop to
load each nuv and save it to an appropriately named avi.  It worked,
and was quick as well, since there's no transcoding involved.

The problem is, in my test run, all the of the avi's are out of sync
(audio lagging, ~1s).  It seemed more apparent towards the end of the
shows, but it might have just been my sample set.  Playback through
"Watch Recordings" is fine.  I tried individual shows through
avidemux2 as well, but I couldn't find a combination of options that
fixed this problem.

Has anyone here successfully used avidemux to create an avi from an
nuv and NOT had sync problems?  Has anyone successfully done this with
a software-MPEG4 nuv?

-rick

[1] I tried patching mplayer to play the nuv's directly, but while the
result starts to play the nuv files, it segfaults a few seconds in.
gdb says it's in the middle of some MMX assembly (IIRC), so it's
beyond me.  I've also tried nuvexport, but I'd like to avoid
transcoding everything, since I've already recorded at too low a
bitrate to withstand more processing without severe artifacting.
[2] I also got it to use the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file for the
database parameters, if anyone's interested.