[mythtv-users] Raid configurations

James Satterfield jsatter at uberduper.com
Fri Aug 13 18:49:53 EDT 2004

Shawn <core at enodev.com> wrote:
>Anyone see any performance problems if I used four WD2500JD drives hung
>off a Promise SATA150 TX4 in software RAID6 for video storage? Of
>course, XFS on top of that.
>
>I just really don't want a single failure on a huge RAID0 video volume
>to destroy ALL my video.
>
>I figure that'd satisfy my storage cravings for a while, and be
>virtually free of worry for me, barring some form of corruption.

Raid6 with 4 drives? IMHO you would be *much* better off performance wise
with raid 1+0. That's 2 mirrors striped. That'll still let you lose any 2
drives and stay alive. However, in 1+0 and raid6 you're losing 50% of your
total storage.  I haven't looked up those drives, but I presume they're
250GB. That's pretty expensive for peace of mind, but to each their own. I
would suggest 1+0 however. You should get much better write performance then
raid6 with the same fault tolerance at the same price.

UD.

I reserve the right to be wrong.