[mythtv-users] XvMC De-interlacing

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sun Aug 15 12:08:57 EDT 2004

On Sunday 15 August 2004 08:05 am, john roberts wrote:
> All HD folks:
>
> I've been watching the Olympic Games on NBC OTA HD (1080i content).  I was
> wondering if anyone else has been watching and could comment on the quality
> of the picture.
>
> My processor is a 2.6G P4 and I've always had to enable XvMC for mythtv not
> to studder all the time while watching live TV.  Because of this I can only
> use the "poor mans XvMC deinterlacing" feature vs. the Mythtv
> de-interlacing software variations (which I hear are better).
>
> With XvMC and my 1080i content - watching on a 720x480p Samsung - I see two
> things when I watch the games:
>
> 1) On an object which has very small variations in color I see what almost
> looks like the effect you see when watching a DiVX or an XViD rip (if that
> makes sense).  Kind of blotchy vs. smooth transitions in color.
>
> 2) During movement (this must be the interlacing issue) things seem just
> slightly jagged and blurred.  Nothing like it used to be WITHOUT XvMC
> de-interlacing turned on - but still not "smooth".
>
> Anyone have any ideas on the above issues?  Or - maybe someone can comment
> on NBC's HD content for the games.

I see #2 a lot, even on non-hd (pvr250) with XvMC enabled.  Since my
frontend is only a P3-1400, I have no choice but to use it.  However, my video
card is set to 1280x720p (the TV may convert back to 1080i internally),
so I don't attribute it to interlacing.

I'm really surprised your 2.6P4 can't handle the work itself...

Oh would it ever be nice for Nvidia to enable the MPEG decoder on their
cards in Linux...  Its always been my biggest complaint with them...

Brian