[mythtv-users] Objective IVTV quality measurement instructions

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Aug 15 16:07:52 EDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, dean vanden heuvel wrote:

> Thanks for all the advice...
>
> I'm not really concerned about space, as I don't burn often anyway.  I'm more
> concerned about getting the *best* image when I playback or watch *live tv*.
> I have pegged the bit rate in my recording profile for *live tv*, and IF I
> cannot get any better by sampling 720x480, then I was thinking that sampling
> less pixels (640x480) using the pegged bit rate MIGHT improve what I am
> seeing...then of course, if 640 is better, then perhaps 480 might be even
> better yet.

 	If you have motion artifacts (besides crappy 480i source),
posterization, blockiness, etc, then you could potentially see improvement by
increasing the effective bits/pixel.  If you are talking about the general
image softness and low resolution of the ivtv, it appears to be maxed at
480x480 from my tests.

> I understand the advantage of grabbing 720 for direct record to DVD, and
> thanks for that info...I learned something new yet again.

 	Isn't that what it's all about?  Why, just yesterday I learn how to
and made my own heatpipe.  Next it will be to remove all fans from my mythtv
case.

> BTW, since my source is 16x9 (from a samsung HD satellite receiver), I think
> there is no way I can get to *square pixels* and retain all 480 lines
> vertically.  Do you agree?
>
> -dvh

 	Sure there is... but not with the ivtv or any bttv cards that I know
of.  :)  I believe it would require 853x480.  If you were to cook up a modeline
for that, spit it to your TV, and play a square-pixeled source, the result
would be square pixeled.

-Cory